[vtkusers] What's the most important : CPU or graphic card

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Feb 25 04:29:29 EST 2002

    >> I'm using vtk to create volume from CT images.  This operation
    >> costs a lot of power, and sometimes, rotations are a lit bit
    >> slow.
    DL> I just add something : i'm using the java implementation of
    DL> vtk.  Maybe, it would be better to use C++ instead of Java to
    DL> improve performances ? But how much would it be faster ? 5%,
    DL> 10%, ...

I doubt that it would be faster by much.  All the wrappers are thin
layers atop the VTK C++ libraries.  So most of the graphics and
compute intensive stuff happens in C++ anyways.  I dont have any
numbers to prove this but I'm pretty sure that you wont get too much
improvement by moving to c++.

prabhu