[vtkusers] Bioinformatics Visualization Programmer Job Opp

Jerry Bires jbires at crti.com
Tue Feb 19 12:47:01 EST 2002

VTK User Community,

Sorry to interrupt.  I received approval from Kitware to alert you to the
following full time position in the Sacramento area of northern California.

JOB DESCRIPTION
We are in the business of identifying those genes that cause cancer, one of
the most dreaded diseases of our day.  Three months back we closed our
second round of financing at $20 million.  We are on the right track
according to our investors; they say "our strategy is to invest in
companies with clear breakthrough technologies, and this one offers the
most robust discovery platform for cancer therapeutics in the industry
today."

We plan to use the new funding to assemble the largest collection of cancer
genes in the world; to form collaborations with companies focused on
developing drugs and treatments from antibodies; and to expand its senior
management and pre-clinical development teams.

That is where you come in.  We are looking to hire a Visualization
Programmer who has  hands-on proficiency with  VTK, specifically, and
OpenGL.   In a glutted labor market, those with biotech experience will
move to the top of the pile.  What you will do:  in this programming role
we need a scientist who has developed graphical bioinformatics tools;
specifically those focusing on data visualization. You must have experience
using 2-D and 3-D graphical libraries associated with Perl, or one of the
object oriented languages such as Java, or C++.  From the client: I would
like to see anyone with significant experience developing 2-D and 3-D data
representation tools. Please note that I have received CVs from many
applicants who clearly do not understand that data visualization is the
practice of representing complex data in a graphical format. It is a
specific discipline.
I would expect a salary in the lower 70s.  With biotech experience, perhaps
more...the burden to reach the top of any salary range is how well you
create desire for your services during an interview.
My value add here is direct access to the hiring authority, assistance thru
the interview process and assessment of the competitive landscape.

Send your resume as a Word attachment to jbires at crti.com.

Best,
Jerry Bires, Sr. Consultant
CastleRock Technology, Inc.