[vtkusers] VTK4 and Python 2.2 (Newbie): what environment variables to set?

Chen, Elvis anisotropic7 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 6 17:37:28 EST 2002

Greetings,

I'm a newbie as far as Python is concerned, so please
bear with me for what might be a trivial question:

I have compiled VTK4 (Release Candidate) with tcl/tk
(8.3) and Python (2.2) bindings.  While I'm playing
with example Python codes, a lot of modules (say,
vtkpython) and libraries are not found:

>> from vtkpython import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File
"/cis/volume/people/chene/local/VTK4/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkpython.py",
line 29, in ?
    exec "from "+kit_name+" import *"
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named libvtkCommonPython

my LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains proper path to all vtk
libraries, but I guess I must have to tell Python the
same information somehow.

so my question is, what environment variables in unix
shell should I set in order for vtk/python to work
flawlessly?

thanks in advance,

ECC