[vtkusers] Asking help

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Feb 6 09:25:30 EST 2002

    OS> completely new to VTK so I hope someone can help me. I am
    OS> developing a<BR>Microsoft Windows based application that will
    OS> mainly be producing 3D blood flow visualizer.<BR>The user
    OS> should be able to interact with the output to rotate, zoom in
    OS> etc.<BR>The application is being developed.using Visual C++
    OS> 6.0.<BR>Please can anyone give advice on the benefits
    OS> and<BR>problems of using VTK in this situation.</P>

The question is a little too general to ask on the list here.  It all
really depends on what exactly you want.  If you already know how to
use OpenGL and it is sufficient for your needs you can do what you
want with it.  If OTOH you want a high level interface to 3D graphics
with very readily available and powerful visualization/imaging
algorithms you could use VTK.  Again it all depends on what you want.
No one else has a clue on your specific application apart from
yourself so the ultimate choice is yours and the decision will have to
depend on a proper study made by you.  Of course if you have specific
questions on particular features then you can do the following (in
order):

 (1) Look up the web pages and freely available docs to see if
 features you want are supported.  Also read the VTK FAQ.

 (2) Search on google etc. for information.

 (3) If all that fails, post on the list and if someone has the
 inclination/time to respond with answers, they will.

prabhu