[vtkusers] problem with POSIX threads

Praveen Bhaniramka praveenb at gauri.engr.sgi.com
Mon Feb 4 20:11:07 EST 2002

Hi Berk and Song,

The reason for these problems is probably that VTK uses sproc for the
multi-threading (see common/vtkMultiThreading.cxx) on SGIs. As far as I
know, on IRIX, pthreads are implemented using sproc in such a way that
they do not work with sprocs properly. So if your application uses
pthreads, you should disable the use of sproc and use pthreads instead.

I haven't looked at the vtkMultiThreading source much, but it seems that
there are #defines for VTK_USE_SPROC and VTK_USE_PTHREADS which you could
use to make the appropriate changes.

HTH,
Praveen

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Berk Geveci wrote:

> Even with Irix 6.5, there have been issues with pthreads.
> Random crashes and such. Whenever we compile on SGIs, we
> disable pthread support.
>
> -Berk
>
> >From: Song Li <lisong at vrac.iastate.edu>
> >To: vtkusers at public.kitware.com
> >Subject: [vtkusers] problem with POSIX threads
> >Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:14:34 -0600
> >
> >Hi, gurus,
> >    my program use VTK and other software libraries on SGI platform, it
> >works fine when I use libraries with sproc mode, but after I switch to
> >use POSIX-mode library, the program can not work, I doubt that VTK cause
> >the problem, anybody can tell me if VTK can also support these two modes
> >and how to switch between them ??(Makefile available??)
> >   Thanks a lot!
> >
> >--
> >Song Li
> >VRAC(Virtual Reality Application Center),Iowa State University
> >Email: lisong at vrac.iastate.edu
> >Homepage: http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/~lisong

Praveen Bhaniramka               Member of Technical Staff (MTS)
praveenb at sgi.com                 Advanced Graphics Division
(650)933-1785                    Silicon Graphics, Inc.