[vtkusers] python extended vtk

Benjamin Tai bt98 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sun Feb 3 05:47:06 EST 2002

Hi,

I am wondering how complete is VTK extended with Python?

My biggest concern is the following:

Python is virtual by default. It has no declaration.
On the other hand, the core of VTK is implemented in C++. If I declare a
C++ function with input argument of type baseclass, the method call
would then be able to accept instance of baseclass and derived class.

How is this dealt with when extending VTK with Python? As Python
extension API is written in C.
What is used for the wrapper generator: yacc, swig, py_cpp, or
combination of the tools mentioned or not?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ben