[vtkusers] vtkImageViewer vs. vtkRenderWindow

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Fri Feb 1 11:10:13 EST 2002

Hi Randy,

The trick is the use a vtkRenderWindow and a vtkRenderWindowInteractor
to display the image, like so:

image -> vtkImageMapper -> vtkActor2D -> vtkRenderer -> vtkRenderWindow

Or it might be easier to use a vtkImageActor, and that will also allow
hardware-accelerated pan and zoom.  Note that in VTK 4.0
there is even a vtkInteractorStyleImage, but it is for use with a
vtkRenderWindow.

My advice is to avoid using the vtkImageViewer and the vtkImageWindow
within applications, they are fine for short test scripts and examples
but they aren't powerful enough or sophisticated enough to use in
a serious app.  Use vtkRenderWindow instead.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group