[vtkusers] landscape Delaunay triangulation

sebastien MARAUX maraux at ondim.fr
Wed Dec 18 12:04:46 EST 2002

Yes in that case I think Delaunay2D should be sufficient.
I first thought your data was regularly spaced, but it does
not seem to be the case, so you don't have a grid data,
but just "randomly" dispersed point set, isn't it ?

Then you actually need to use delaunay2D triangulation,
but computers have a big difficulty with computing more
than 1 or 2 millions points. Unfortunately I believe you
have around this number of input points?

For what you want to do, you should take a look
at triangle (but it is software, and not lib I believe) :

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html
and its speed :
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/tripaper/triangle2.html

If any VTK user could have the time to adapt this methods to
Delaunay2D, it would be great !

Let me know if you do such job or turn triangle into
a library, it would interest me.

Hope this clarify things.

Sebastien MARAUX