[vtkusers] multiple data fields

Brenton.Thomas at HardYards.info Brenton.Thomas at HardYards.info
Mon Dec 16 05:37:50 EST 2002

I am having a hard time trying to understand the multiple data fields
approach.  From what I can gather I do the following

Set The File Name

Set Reader to the field I want.

Read it into a vtkDataArray

Change where Reader is set

Read the next DataArray and repeat until all the data is read.

Then use vtkAssignAttribute to choose the active arrays, build whatever I
need and create actors and associated mappers

Then change the attribute and repeat for the next data array until I have
all the actors and mappers

Then render them.

Problem - my data is huge, when I create the DataArrays do they live in
memory, or or does it just set up a pointer to a file which is read when
needed. It just doesn't feel right to have a huge  (12M+) hunk of data just
sitting in memory

Before I discovered Assign Attribute I was thinking of having two readers
working from the same file - would this work?

Thanks

Brenton