[vtkusers] Creating vtk "plugins" for python.

Alexandre Guimond vtk at guim.org
Sun Dec 15 14:56:53 EST 2002

Hi.  I finally decided to convert my old 3.2 code to 4.x.  To do this,
I compiled & install vtk 4 from cvs.  I then copied VTK/Examples/vtkmy
elsewhere (outside the VTK source tree, as vtkag), added my classes to that
copy, compiled and installed.  Everything went pretty well, except that
I didn't figure out how to load my new module into python.

VTK contains the Wrapping/Python directory which contains quite a few
things to setup loadable vtk modules in python.  From what I
understand, they get installed in lib/python2.2/site-packages.  My
vtkag/Wrapping only contains an empty hints file.

Does anyone know what I have to do to to setup something similar so I
can load my package from python?

I'm also wondering is if I did the right thing by creating my package
outside the VTK source tree?  Would it be better to create my package
inside VTK?

thx for any info.