[vtkusers] VRML generated from vtk does not show up properly on IE

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Dec 11 09:37:11 EST 2002

At 10:36 PM -0600 on 12/10/2002, Zhengyu Zhang wrote:

>I tried and it gives the same thing. I wonder if there is something
>missing when the VRML file is generated from vtk.
>
>btw, the glview loads file very slowly. I am using XP Pro.
>Is this normal?

The initial vtkIVWriter included with VTK makes several assumptions about the geometry exported from VTK. I've made a number of modifications for my own code, but I haven't tried to integrate it. I've bassically reworked the vtkActorToPF code (which converts VTK geometry to Performer) to vtkActorToIV to convert in-core VTK geometry to Inventor for use with either TGS Inventor in a CAVE or with Coin3d.

In particular, a more specific ShapeHints node is required to indicate whether the generated surface is a closed volume or a surface. The ordering must be specified as well, otherwise Inventor/VRML makes assumptions which conflict with VTK.

The initial slowdown is probably just the creation of normals for the shape. If they're not provided, the viewer is likely generating them automatically, so that takes some time. As you already discovered, using a vtkPolyDataNormals filter will alleviate this problem.

Chris
--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory