[vtkusers] vtk 4.0 debian : lot of problems?

Maitland Bottoms bottoms at debian.org
Tue Dec 3 02:33:19 EST 2002

Alberto Bert writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Recently I've upgrade my debian vtk to vtk 4.0.

Hmm. Quite a mess, what with updates to python, tcl/tk, X libraries
AND the gcc compiler.

But in this case, even doing `apt-get source vtk` and doing a build
yourself is not so straightforward - as most of the packaging parts is
dealing with versions of the compilers, python, and tcl/tk that are
not on a woody system.

If Knoppix is just doing the 'apt pinning' mechanism and using regular
Debian sources, it will likely cause similar troubles.

HOWEVER,

I have put some woody built VTK 4 packages up at:
    http://people.debian.org/~bottoms/stage/

They are not apt-gettable now, but maybe soon I'll figure out how to
do that. Also soon I hope to be doing automatic nightly builds of
debian packages of VTK. Wish me luck. (The pbuilder package is nice.)

ANOTHER WAY

to enjoy seeing the future by tracking the latest versions of things
without the risk of ruining your main system is described in -
    Setting up a chroot Debian system:
    http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html

 > Alberto

-Maitland