[vtkusers] Update: White image with dri volume rendering

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Dec 3 00:41:23 EST 2002

Hello Larry,

>I don't understand why the raycaster uses texture mapping.
>I thought ray casting begins at the back of the volume and works its way
>up to the front adding intensity depending on the material it 'sees'.

The ray caster creates an image traversing each ray front to back (this way
early termination can occur). The final image must then be displayed in the
scene along with all the geometry that has already been rendered (and
anything else that has yet to be rendered). This is where texture mapping
comes in - the image is placed on a polygon and rendered into the scene in
the correct location.

Lisa