[vtkusers] Is clipping really that hard in VTK???

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Wed Aug 28 20:59:21 EDT 2002

Hi Bertwim,
  How about vtkClipDataSet (new in vtk 4, able to handle unstructured grid)
and vtkPlane. I have never worked with cell data, but I would hope it is
handled without any problem?

  regards
    Dave

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Bertwim van Beest      |
|        |          <bwvb at xs4all.nl>       |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          29/08/2002 12:40       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     vtkusers <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>                                                        |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [vtkusers] Is clipping really that hard in VTK???                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I simply don't understand how to do the following:

I have a certain UnstructuredGrid, with one data value per cell.
Now I want to create a clipping plane, such that all data on one side of
the plane is visible, and on the other side of the plane the grid is not
displayed.

Seems to me a very basic problem. Yet I have not been succesful to do. I
have looked at the examples (e.g. the clipped cow), but no success.

Who can help me out. If the answer is that the cell based values is at
the heart of the problem, and that VTK is not the toolkit for this type
of problems, than I would like to know, before it is too late (in that I
have embarked on a ship that is really not equipped for these type of
problems.

Thanks in advance,
Bertwim