[vtkusers] Picking a large object: slow???

Bertwim van Beest bwvb at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 28 16:46:27 EDT 2002

I read a large unstructured grid ( ~10^3 -- 10^6 cells) which I
visualise on the screen.
I have enabled interaction with it by using an instance of
 vtkRenderWindowInteractor.
So far all failrly standard.

In "camera mode" (pressing "C"), the view on the grid changes
instantaneous when I press/move the mouse.
However, when I am in "actor mode" (pressing "A") it can take
considerable time (a couple of seconds) when I have ~10^4 cells, and
*much* more when the grid is larger. I can see that the CPU is very busy
on the mouse click, apparently deciding which actor is to be moved. Once
it has found the actor, I can almost painless move/rotate the grid.

I have the feeling that too much work is being done here. I only wanted
to rotate my grid.
Can somebody help me out how to do this faster?

Thanks in advance
Bertwim