[vtkusers] vtk book out of print??

Gharrison9 at aol.com Gharrison9 at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 20:21:46 EDT 2002

In a message dated 8/23/2002 4:33:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
krs at cs.uncc.edu writes:

> Could perhaps the authors illuminate why the VTK book is out of print?
> I know the book is a few years old, but still a lot of us are using it and
> some
> of us use it in visualization courses and for projects..

Indeed. The publisher confirms that. There probably is some availability on
amazon, but my concern is for a class that I have coming up next year. Last
year I assigned the User's Guide, but it can only (I think) be purchased
online, which is difficult for students that have student aid vouchers at the
book store for text book purchases.

Do the authors have an answer?

What WOULD be good is to have a new addition but with much of the material
from the User's Guide included -- at least on CD. To write a book that would
explain the complete functionality of VTK AND give the background that the
text does would be a daunting task.

As an asside... a student I have who is very VTK proficient asked me, does
anyone REALLY know the functionality of the various classes? That's a broad
question, but it also shows the potential power of these classes. I have a
great deal of respect for the work done on these classes.

George

George C. Harrison Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University
Telephone: 757-823-8654
Fax: 757-823-9229
email: gharrison9 at aol.com