[vtkusers] vtkNightlyJava broken

Jarek Sacha galicjan at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 18:06:11 EDT 2002

--- Budd Hirons <bhiron at lsuhsc.edu> wrote:
> If you build the nightly from source instead of trying the binaries you
> can
> just do this, assuming you turn the VTK_WRAP_JAVA flag on in CMake  ...
> and
> it would be a faster download if you run a local CVS client to keep up
> with
> the incremental changes in the source.
>
> To build the jar from the command prompt:
>
>  > cd [CMakeDestination_VTKNightly]\java\vtk
>  > javac *.*
>  > cd ..
>  > jar -cvf vtk.jar .\vtk\*.class

Sorry for not being clear. My poit is that prebuild binaries for Windows
are broken. vtkNightlyJava.exe does not include Java class binaries. It is
not possible to correctly install VTK Java bindings from current/recent
vtkNightlyJava.exe.

You are absolutely correct about building Java binding from source.
Building from source gives you number of advantages, however, it requires
time, specific knowledge of setting up and running build environment, and
reasonably fast machine. Building from source is not something a typical
end user would be able or willing to do.

One of my ideas was to provide a plugins to access some of the VTK
functionality from ImageJ (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ij-plugins/).
In particular some functionality, like vtkImagePlaneWidget, that is not
available in VTK 4.0 release (Java bindings install perfectly fine here
for this release).

Nighlty binaries provide a convenient way get recent release without a
need of going through a trouble of compiling. It is great that VTK folks
provide this convenience. I am just trying to point out to Nightly
Maintainers that one piece is broken to the point it that is cannot be
used at all.

Jarek