[vtkusers] Performance issue

Christian Chilan cmchilan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 12:55:52 EDT 2002

Hi there,

I'm creating a viz application using VTK with Tcl/Tk.
I've added interactivity such that the user can
manipulate the view of the actors in the window.
Another feature is saving images into a file (.bmp,
.jpg,...). For the saving procedure, I'm using
vtkWindowToImageFilter and the standard writers, say
vtkBMPWriter.

The problem here is that after saving an image, the
interactivity performance drops. The view manipulation
turns very slow.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, compare the
interactivity performance of VisQuad.tcl at
/Examples/VisualizationAlgorithms/Tcl/VisQuad.tcl
before and after adding the following lines at the end
of the program:

update
vtkWindowToImageFilter w2I
w2I SetInput renWin
vtkBMPWriter writer
writer SetFileName "name for the output file.bmp"
writer SetInput [w2I GetOutput]
writer Write
writer Delete
w2I Delete