[vtkusers] Colouring

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Thu Aug 15 09:45:45 EDT 2002

Javier,

vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter will surface structured points but the surface is
only as smooth as your point set. The recently introduced PowerCrust class can
also surface points but I'm not sure if its part of vtk yet (search the archives
for more info). To smooth further try vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter or
vtkWindowSincPolyDataFilter. You might also take a look at
vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter to extract regions of your surfacing if it is
disconnected (inner from outer) so that you might color them
differently.......john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [24.97.130.19]

From: "Javier Maicas Sebastian" <s011124 at student.dtu.dk>@public.kitware.com on
08/15/2002 11:40 AM ZE2

                   "Javier Maicas Sebastian"           To:   vtkusers at public.kitware.com
 <s011124 at student.dtu.dk>@public.kitware.com           Cc:    (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
                                               Subject:      [vtkusers] Colouring

 Sent by:  vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                         08/15/2002 05:40 AM

Hi all,

I am working with the segmentation of the brain and I have extracted the
inner and the outer surface. I want to show each surface with a different
color. If I introduce the surface in a 3D matrix (a 3D image)  and I
apply marching cubes to smooth the surface the results are very bad (the
surface appears in pieces) because it expects a volume as input. So I
build a volume (the cortex) and the marching cubes produces a nice
surface, but the two surfaces at the same time and with the same color.

How can I do it then? Is there in vtk a function that creates a smooth
surface from points (similar to vtkLine for lines)?

Regards
Javier