[vtkusers] Shading/Texture Question

Praveen Bhaniramka praveenb at gauri.engr.sgi.com
Wed Aug 7 13:53:26 EDT 2002

Hi Amer,

> Hello,
>     I have two volume datasets, equal dimensions.  The first has info to
> create an iso surface and the second has pixel color/texture.  Is there an

I assume you mean "voxel" color/texture.

> easy way to texture the isosurface from the first set with the information
> from the 2nd set?

You can use 3D texture mapping (depending on the platform you are running
this on, it might or might not be available) to create a 3D texture from
the second volume and apply it to the isosurface from the first. This will
work even if your isosurface (isovalue) from the first volume changes.

An alternative would be to extract the texture/color values from the
second volume for each vertex of the isosurface and render the triangles
using the per-vertex information. If your isosurface changes however, you
will need to re-compute the above.

Cheers,
Praveen

Praveen Bhaniramka               Member of Technical Staff (MTS)
praveenb at sgi.com                 Advanced Graphics Division
(650)933-1785                    Silicon Graphics, Inc.