[vtkusers] Bizarre Python Errors

Mike Robertson fermion at mac.com
Mon Apr 29 19:31:40 EDT 2002

[localhost:Documents/temp/mayavi-1.0] root# python
Python 2.2 (#1, Apr 25 2002, 11:43:25)
[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on darwin
>>> from vtk import *
>>> from Tkinter import *
>>> root = Tk()
>>> root.tk.eval('load /usr/local/bin/libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidget.so
vtkrenderingpythonwidgets')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TclError: dyld: permission denied

What does this mean? dyld? That's something relevant to dynamic linking,
right? Meaning what? That my Tcl build is static? In that event, how can I
make sure that I install it with sharing (there's no convenient cmake
operation associated with tcl...)? Anyone know if it is possible to tell
fink how to configure the tcl installation? Perhaps I'll just have to build
from the source... Obviously I can't use apple's new release because it uses
quartz.

Here's the mayavi error, which seems to tell me that this is the only hurdle
left in getting this to work correctly. (which I very much look forward to
doing)

[localhost:Documents/temp/mayavi-1.0] root# python mayavi.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mayavi.py", line 4, in ?
    Main.main ()
  File "./Main.py", line 947, in main
    v = MayaVi (r)
  File "./Main.py", line 139, in __init__
    self.renwin = Misc.RenderWindow.RenderWindow (self.renwin_frame)
  File "Misc/RenderWindow.py", line 41, in __init__
    height=500)
  File "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkTkRenderWidget.py", line 65,
in __init__
    vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets(master.tk)
  File "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py", line
59, in vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets
    interp.call('load', filename)
TclError: dyld: permission denied
[localhost:Documents/temp/mayavi-1.0] root#

mike

Michael Robertson
fermion at mac.com
http://thenewcosmos.com

"The wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages are perpetuated by
quotations."

-Benjamin Disraeli