[vtkusers] Bizarre Python Errors

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Apr 28 23:27:17 EDT 2002

    MR> Here's the result: [localhost:local/vtk/VTK] root# python
    MR> Python 2.2 (#1, Apr 25 2002, 11:43:25) [GCC 2.95.2 19991024
    MR> (release)] on darwin Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or
    MR> "license" for more information.
    MR> Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in
    MR> ?  File "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py",
    MR> line 8, in ?  from filtering import * File
    MR> "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/filtering.py", line 7,
    MR> in ?  from libvtkFilteringPython import * ImportError: Failure
    MR> linking new module

Ah, the filtering module will try to link to another module (the
vtkCommon module) and fails because of the static compile.

    MR> line 65, in __ init__ vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets(master.tk) File
    MR> "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py",
    MR> line 59, in vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets interp.call('load',
    MR> filename) TclError: dyld: permission denied
    MR> [localhost:documents/temp/mayavi-1.0] root#

    MR> With sharing off, it returns no such Tcl errors; rather, the
    MR> errors correspond with those returned from the python shell.

Which is actually far better than your current error (because you
could import all of VTK previously and only the Tkinter widget
failed).  The problem you are having with vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py
might be because Tcl is compiled statically?  I'm not sure on this
though.

prabhu