[vtkusers] Bizarre Python Errors

Mike Robertson fermion at mac.com
Sun Apr 28 14:13:28 EDT 2002

Hi! I don't think this has anything to do with mac os x, although, of
course, I'm using mac os x. I've installed VTK to wrap to both python and
tcl. CMakeCache.txt file is attached. I'm getting some unusual errors when I
go to import vtkpython. But, oddly enough, the thing has no qualms importing
libvtkCommonPython.... I installed everything in /usr/local/vtk/VTK/ (so the
wrapping for python is /usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/) and did not run
a make install, as I have unsuccessfully done before. vtkpython is here:
/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python. The libraries are not shared (had some
problems with that earlier...)
Here's the error:

[localhost:VTK/Wrapping/Python] root# python
Python 2.2 (#1, Apr 25 2002, 11:43:25)
[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on darwin
>>> import libvtkCommonPython
>>> import Tkinter
>>> import vtkpython
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkpython.py", line 29, in ?
    exec "from "+kit_name+" import *"
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: Failure linking new module

[localhost:VTK/Wrapping/Python] root# what the heck

Any ideas? Of course, yes, I told the thing were to find all of the libs by
entering
setenv PYTHONPATH /usr/local/vtk/VTK/bin:/usr/local/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python

Thanks!

mike

Michael Robertson
fermion at mac.com
http://thenewcosmos.com

". . . The Egyptians were obsessed with salt. They salted everything,
including their relatives. . ."

- NPR, 2/26/02