[vtkusers] VTK and QT on Windows2000

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Wed Apr 17 11:00:11 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 10:37, Goodwin Lawlor wrote:
> While there's a thread going on QT - just a quick question: What are the
> pros and cons of QT v's FLTK for building VTK apps?
>
> I notice ITK uses FLTK but there seems to be more noise on this list about
> QT...

Licensing is an major difference. FLTK is LGPL while QT is GPL or QPL.
So, for FLTK you application can be any license you want (correct me if
I am wrong), while for QT your application either needs to be GPL or
you need to buy developers license.

FLTK is much lower weight than QT, which is good for space constrained
applications. QT however has much better widgets and much more
functionality.

QT needs preprocessing, while FLTK (if you do not use fluid) you don't.

QT looks better (IMHO).

			Andy