[vtkusers] How to create a better surface than tubefilter?

Alex Lear alex_lear at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 00:04:46 EDT 2002

I like the idea of the spline and will give it more thought, although it may
get tricky at branch split points.  I am interested in preserving the
original data but smooth the connections.  I would also like to make it into
more of a surface than tubes.
When I used capping for the tubes, it used literally a circle instead of a
sphere, is this the normal behavior?
To answer the question, Yes it is a completely seperate volume dataset and I
would like to color the branches from this volume dataset.

Alex

********

Turn endcapping on and it will put spheres at the ends If you want something
of higher quality, use the points to fit a spline to it
(vtkKochanekBartelsSpline), resample and get more points and put the tube
filter around them.

a completely separate volume dataset?  You want the tubes to be colored
based on the data?

     -- krs

***********

I am using a point set to represent the branches of a 3 dimentional object
like a tree.  I connect the points with lines to show the branches.  Then I
use the radius information and the vtkTubeFilter to create the cylindrical
branch sturcture that varies by radius at each point.

I have two problems with this:

1) The first is the tubes are discontinuous at each point making it look
like cylinders backed up to each other rather than a smooth branch.

2) The second problem is I would like to (probe?) the data from a volume and
color the branch structure with these values.

I am not sure how to accomplish this because I am not aware of everything
vtk can do.  I think I need to do some sort of transformation after the tube
filter is applied.  Like a surface reconstruction of some kind.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Alex Lear