[vtkusers] How to set enviroment variable VTK_DATA_ROOT

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Mon Apr 15 06:53:10 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 03:26, Denny wrote:
> I run the finance example and it give me an error
> message:"Please set enviroment variable
> VTK_DATA_ROOT".
> Then I add a system variable named VTK_DATA_ROOT with
> value "c:/program files/vtk40/vtkData" but it seemed
> not work. How can I set this variable?

Depending on what Windows are you using (looking at your path I would
assume you use Windows). If you use 95,98,ME, then you should add this
line to the file: c:/Autoexec.bat:

set VTK_DATA_ROOT=c:\Progra~1\vtk40\vtkdata

If you use Windows NT,2000,XP (huh, this is so weird), then click on
the My Computer using the right (or left) mouse button and select
properties. There you will find in one tab something like Environment
options. Add there VTK_DATA_ROOT. Make sure to use backslash \ not
slash /.

				Andy