[vtkusers] Help: How to Read DICOM files in vtk

stefano mininel mininel.ml at gnbts.univ.trieste.it
Thu Apr 11 03:45:39 EDT 2002

As you probably know DICOM files are much more than a simple "image",
with a long and complex "header" covering the "medical context" of the
image.
Before putting them in the graphics pipeline you should extract the pure
"image data" from the files.

1) Either you first convert all the .dcm files into .raw using the
freeware dicom2 by S. Barré (see
http://www.barre.nom.fr/medical/dicom2/ , of course this is a tip valid
only if you are under Windows)
2) or the 3D Slicer application (freeware from the MIT, see
http://www.slicer.org/ ) has several "vtkMRML..." VTK classes and if I
well remember something in them should allow direct reading in the
graphic pipeline of DICOM series.

Probably there are other solutions as well.
Hope this helps
    Stefano Mininel