[vtkusers] vtlVolumeReader

Thomas Deschamps tdeschamps at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 10 13:53:29 EDT 2002

Hi,

I still do not understand why there is no routine to read volumetric
images contained in a single file?
3D datasets in slices in not so common. Ok, DICOM is often sliced, but
there are frequently datasets contained in an unique file. It is often
more convenient, especially for practical reasons (copying and
transmission for example, compactness also).
Does anyone try to incorporate it into vtk?
Is it not more interesting to have a vtkVolumeReader class which is more
general, thus allowing sliced and self-contained datasets?
Maybe I did not notice that it exists somewhere. But I always use
vtkImageReader + vtkImageToStructuredPoints.

Thomas Deschamps
TDeschamps at lbl.gov