[vtkusers] "Destructive" filtering

João Filipe de Castro Ferreira jfilipe at isr.uc.pt
Wed Apr 10 13:06:57 EDT 2002

I have once posed this question (nobody answered... :(( ) to the list;
having purchased the VTK Users Manual and not finding any answers to my
worries, I must try again:

I am trying to implement a VTK/MSVC++ app, whose partial goal is to apply
filters to 3D objects *destructively*, i.e., collapse the visualisation
pipeline so that only the PolyData containing the filter's output and the
Mapper are present everytime the 3D object is processed (possibily allowing
some levels of undo). Lets say that I would like to develop a kind of a
simplified "3D Adobe Photoshop" type of app.

I am having some trouble in understanding how this is done --- from the Tcl
examples (namely the decimation example which is similar to what I am trying
to acheive) I understand I need to copy and release the data from the
filters, but I haven't been able to transpose this to C++.

Please help!!!

Cheers,

João Ferreira