[vtkusers] VTK and QT

Matthieu Chabanas Matthieu.Chabanas at imag.fr
Tue Apr 9 09:06:15 EDT 2002

Joey Mukherjee wrote:

> I notice there are three versions of mixing VTK and QT.  Is there a consensus on
> which is the better of the three?  Are their advantages/disadvantages of any of
> them?  Has anyone tried any of them on Mac OS X?

I have been using VTK and Qt since a year now.
- I first tried the "vtkandqt" library developped by Jan Stifter: no
particular problem if you just need a renderer.
- I then switched to vtkQGL (Jan Ehrhardt), which I found a little bit
more convenient (all interactors are supported, you can pick actors,
...). Some classes are provided to display images (like
vtkQGLImageViewer), but they did not correspond to my needs and did not
work with vtk4.0 (problem with vtkImageReslice, mostly). I therefore
developed my own SliveViewer class, which is pretty close to
vtkImageViewer2 (you can zoom, pad, pick, ...)

I am using Qt2.3.0 and vtk4.0, on windows w2k, linux and unix-true64
(alpha station).
No Mac Os, sorry!

All the mentionned packages are accessible via Sébastien's VTK links:
http://www.barre.nom.fr/vtk/links-classes.html
However, I am not sure Jan Ehrhardt web page
(http://passat.mesh.de/~ehrhardt/vtkQGL/
) is still responding ...

Hope it helps,
Matt