[vtkusers] streamlines in structured points

Benitio del Cruz theqontinuum at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:14:50 EDT 2001

Hi,

I'm currently working on an application which creates streamlines and
-points in a 3D structured points dataset. The vectors of the dataset are
quite small (the largest is approx. 0.00027). I prefer not normalizing them
since the data is dynamic and thus normalisation would be quite costly.
I had problems with finding the right integration step length. Either no
streamline was shown, or the process would slow down immensly by the large
amount of points created.
With trial and error, I found out that reducing the spacing of the dataset
to 0.4 or 0.1 gave workable streamlines. What I do not understand is why an
integration steplength 'i' in a dataset with spacing 0.1 does not give the
same result as an integration steplength 'i*10.0' in a dataset with spacing
1.0.
I hope someone can explain this. Thank you in advance.

Benitio