[vtkusers] Wierd problem with VTK under Mesa.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Sep 20 17:30:36 EDT 2001

hi,

    >> I have been running into a very wierd problem with VTK
    >> (actually with MESA).  I am using the VTK 4.0 CVS tree.  This
<snip>
    >> When I load a visualization using MayaVi (which uses VTK and
    >> Tkinter) some of the actors suddenly disappear (the Visibility
    >> of the actor is

    AG> i have had a problem with dissapearing actors using
    AG> vtk3.1+mesa+debian in the past (and unfortunately dont recall
    AG> the version numbers).  hank childs (childs3 at llnl.gov)

<snip>

    AG> perhaps this may be related to your problem. hank has been
    AG> very helpful on these lists, so id bet he would give you more
    AG> info, if asked (right hank ? :) ).

I recompiled VTK after updating to mesa 3.4.2.  I used the deb from
the current debian unstable tree - mesag3-3.4.2.1-3 and the
corresponding dev package (note that I am running woody and this
doesnt cause any problems).  The results are encouraging but not
perfect.  The random disappearance of actors seems much reduced and
things are much more stable.  However, disappearances of actors is not
completely eliminated.

I am not following this up with any of the Mesa lists because I really
don't understand the problem or the solution properly.  All I can say
is upgrading from Mesa 3.1 to 3.4.2 helped somewhat. So I'd appreciate
very much if Hank or you could follow this up if necessary.

Thanks for all the help!

prabhu

--
There are always alternatives.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3