[vtkusers] Newbie on Cygwin

Ryan Mitchley ryan at peralex.com
Wed Sep 19 05:12:25 EDT 2001

Hi to all on this list!

After reading through several posts and visiting various sites I
am still unable to build VTK on Cygwin. I have followed Mumit Khan's
instructions for
building with Mingw32 libraries under Cygwin for some of my existing
projects, which now work fine. I am not certain how to proceed with VTK,
though.

I have downloaded the VTK source (should this be the Windows or Unix
download, BTW, or is it irrelevant?). I then ran the autoconf, which
produced a Makefile. When running the Makefile, it appears that it is trying
to use the X terminal libraries (e.g. it tries to link in Xlib.h). I would
like the built VTK library to use the OpenGL capabilities of my Windows
machine. Do I have to use MESA? Basically, I am unsure what to edit amongst
the several configuration files that came with the VTK distribution. I am a
competent C++ programmer, but come from a Visual C++ background where I have
not had to worry much about makefiles, etc. I am not even sure where I
should
tell VTK to use the -mno-cygwin option.

I have made a few half-hearted attempts to edit the VTK config files, but I
think I am poking around in the dark.

I would really appreciate any assistance!

Regards,
Ryan Mitchley