[vtkusers] glXChooseVisual

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 13 13:02:12 EDT 2001

The following issue recently came up while trying to run a vtk application
on a remote
machine and have it display back on my workstation. The remote machine is a
Dell pc
running RedHat 6.2 linux. The PC has a gforce 2 graphics card and is
running XFree86
version 4.1. My local machine is an SGI Octane running Irix 6.5.

When I run the graphics example Cone2 on the remote machine while sitting
at its console
the application runs fine. However when I try to display the application on
my SGI I get
an error from vtkOpenGLRenderWindow that says "Could not find decent
visual". The strange
thing is that I can run X applications like xclock on the PC and display
them on my workstation
just fine. I trace the problem down to a glx call "glXChooseVisual". This
call apparently fails
when the display is a remote display. Now the strange part is I can display
vtk applications
from linux to linux. That is I can run the applications remotely from one
linux pc and display the
results on another. I can not however display from the PC to my Irix
workstation. This is probably as clear as mud by now. Has anyone ever had
similar problems and can you give
me any hints on how to solve this remote display problem?

Best Regards,
Dave Semeraro
Dave Semeraro Ph.D.
Visualization and Virtual Environments Group
NCSA University of Illinois
605 E. Springfield Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu