[vtkusers] RedHat 7.2 Mesa bug with VTK?

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Wed Oct 24 20:50:46 EDT 2001

Anyone else running VTK on RedHat 7.2 yet (using Mesa)?

When I run the medical1.cxx example, the skin has two "holes" in it
(missing polygons). The problem happens both on a laptop with a Rage
Mobility chipset and with a TNT2 card. I tried the NVidia drivers on
the TNT2 machine and the problem goes away. I asked on the Mesa list
and Brian Paul said:

  One of the VTK developers reported a similar problem some time back.
  Just today I got a test program and with it found that glEnable(
  GL_DEPTH_TEST) was being called without a depth buffer being
  present.  Thus, depth testing was a no-op and the rendering looked
  like what you describe.

  Try setting the MESA_DEBUG environment variable before running the
  program and see if it reports an error.

But that didn't produce any errors so I'm wondering if it's something
else. Anyone else verify the problem or provide any insights?

Thanks,
Dave