[vtkusers] vtkpolydata

Gopalakrishnan, Gowri Gowri.Gopalakrishnan at inteq.com
Tue Oct 16 08:30:42 EDT 2001

Hi

this question of mine is related to my question this morning.

I use vtkpoints to initialize points
		vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New(VTK_DOUBLE);
my points are ex:386761.22 386761.23 etc

I then use vtkPolydata to set my points and lines

			vtkPolyData *profile = vtkPolyData::New();
			 profile -> SetPoints(points);
			 profile -> SetLines(lines);

And then I use vtkpolydatawriter to write data in a file and then a
tubefilter etc to render.

If i use the following code

	double xOut[3];
	points->GetPoint(3, xOut);

to test the value of a point then it is the correct double precision value.
However the vtkfile I have using the
vtkdatawriter does not have the precise value. I has lost the decimal points
and the values are rounded off
ex 386761 or 6.43702e+006

Any of you have any idea why the vtkPolydata and the polydatawriter does not
hold the precision?.
Also I noticed that this happens if you change the data type to float from
double.
Is there anyway to force the vtkpolydata to have the double?.

Thanks
Gowri