[vtkusers] Removing lighting from points, lines, and wireframe

David Pont david_pont at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 16:57:04 EDT 2001

I have experienced invisible (black) lines, so I would like to see some
option to manage this. Of the four options I would vote for "3) Make it an
option where the default is to not use lighting (1) but
it could be turned on".
Would it be more compatible to default to lighting on (the current
behaviour), but it can turned off? or is that already possible?.

To digress: OpenGL provides the following material properties: GL_AMBIENT,
GL_DIFFUSE, GL_SPECULAR, GL_EMISSION, GL_SHININESS. When using OpenGL some
years back (before I discovered vtk) I used the EMISSION property at times
to avoid lighting effects on surfaces. For scientific visualisation this is
arguably an essential option. While shading is an important visual clue to
shape, it can be misleading for interpretation of colour as a representation
of attribute data.

vtkProperty provides: SetAmbient, SetDiffuse, SetSpecular, SetSpecularPower,
SetOpacity. Could a SetEmitted be added?. This could be used in combination
with SetAmbient etc to obtain the full range of shading, including none. Or
am I just misunderstanding and mis-using lighting in general!

  regards
     Dave Pont