[vtkusers] vtkRenderWindow inside a tk frame

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Fri Nov 30 12:22:09 EST 2001

-----Original Message-----
Is it possible to direct the output of the vtk renderer to a tk frame?
I.e. to have a window that includes the rendering window and a couple
of buttons or other gui elements? (i am trying to use tcl/tk for the
user interface and interface it with c++ vtk code).

You can use the vtkTkRenderWidget class in Tcl/Tk to build a GUI with an
embedded render window.  If you want to tie that to C++ VTK code, you have
some choices.  You can either build some Tcl commands to allow access to
your C++ code from Tcl (see Tcl guides for details on that), or you can
build a single command which takes the render window created by the
vtkTkRenderWidget and passes it down to your C++ code.  If you're unclear on
how to do any of that, just drop me a note and I can expand on it.

Kevin.