[vtkusers] Adaptive / on-demand visualization with VTK

Marcel Prastawa prastawa at cs.unc.edu
Sun Nov 25 21:47:18 EST 2001

I would like to visualize a volume data that can be manipulated in real
time. Generating data for each point involves rather expensive
computations (also defined dynamically), a brute-force algorithm is not
desirable.

What I envision is an algorithm that would divide the volume and
generate data incrementally. It would take the camera/eye location into
account and only generate/display new data for parts of the volume that
are visible (or updated).

Has something like this been done with VTK?

Any hints or suggestions on how I should approach this? (What VTK data
types or filters to use, efficiency tips, etc).

I would appreciate any advice or comments from the VTK community.
Marcel