[vtkusers] Problems compiling my code due to ANSI_STDLIB?

Anthony Sherbondy ajs214 at psu.edu
Thu Nov 22 03:16:34 EST 2001

Hi all,

I downloaded the latest release (as of two weeks ago) through CVS and have compiled this on two separate PCs running Win2000.  Now I am trying to compile my code (using Visual compiler), which was compiling fine with the 3.2 precompiled binaries and receive the /Zm error message.  I have tried many /Zm values and it does not clear the error message.  On one of my PCs I changed the vtkConfigure.h file to:

/* what byte order */
#undef VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN

/* what threading system are we using */
#undef VTK_USE_PTHREADS
#undef VTK_USE_SPROC
#undef VTK_HP_PTHREADS

/* Define if you have the <sys/prctl.h> header file.  */
#undef HAVE_SYS_PRCTL_H

/* Define if you have the <unistd.h> header file.  */
#undef HAVE_UNISTD_H

#define _HP_NO_FAST_MACROS

/* Define to use 64-bit ids */
#undef VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS

from (Original Version):

#define VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB
#define NOMINMAX

the longer version without VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB defined compiles fine, but if I define this value I get the unending /Zm messages.  I tried this on the other PC, but was met with the following types of error messages:

wxVTKWindow.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall vtkObject::PrintTrailer(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)" (?PrintTrailer at vtkObject@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
mdrtkStandardProtocolJoystickInteractorStyle.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall vtkObject::PrintTrailer(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)" (?PrintTrailer at vtkObject@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
mdrtkVisAlgParams.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall vtkObject::PrintTrailer(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)" (?PrintTrailer at vtkObject@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it and it would probably save me countless more VTK recompiles.

Thanks.
-Tony