[vtkusers] events freeze X using vtk with wxPython

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Nov 17 03:47:28 EST 2001

hi,

    JH> I am using wxPython's vtk to make a vtk rendering window in my
    JH> wx application.  I have just started using vtk in the last
    JH> couple of days.

    JH> Whenever I do something to the window that triggers an event
    JH> (resize, click, move), the application often freezes, and
    JH> freezes X along with it.

    JH> I wonder if this is because VTK's event handling and wx's
    JH> event handling are clashing.  Is there some guidance about how
    JH> to integrate the two?

Well, I've been using my local version of the wxVTKRenderWindow code
perfectly well for quite a while - of course maybe the version of the
code distributed in wxPython has bugs?  I use wxPython2.2.8 under
Debian.  I know also for certain that my code works under Win32.

    JH> I have had this problem both with the wxVTKRenderingWindow
    JH> demo (makes a cone) that ships with wxPython and some code I
    JH> am working with based on the Viewer.py example that comes with
    JH> vtk3.2.

Thats really strange.  Could you mail me the wxPython.lib.vtk code
that ships with your CVS version of wxPython?  Let me see if there is
something that I've fixed in my version.

    JH> I have experienced the same problem with vtk3.2 and VTK 4.0.
    JH> I am working with the CVS version of wxWindows/wxPython under
    JH> RHL 7.1.

Your example program uses an ImageViewer and I'm not sure if using a
vtkImageViewer will work, that said, your example seemed to run ok for
me (using my wxVTKRenderWindow version) but it did not handle any of
the mouse based interaction, but it did not crash anything either.

prabhu