[vtkusers] Re: "VTK Users guide" - worth it?

Morten H Pedersen mhp at dadlnet.dk
Wed Nov 7 14:18:11 EST 2001

Yes,

I found both the VTK Users Guide and the VTK - an object oriented approach to 3D graphics necessary to get a grip of VTK. The users guide uses mostly TCL and the VTK book uses C++ (like I do). The users guide (almost) is up to date with regards to the class hierarchy (for instance the object factory model is not implemented in the OOP book - I think), whereas the OOP book makes a far better introduction to the principles of 3D graphics AND VTK's way of handling that.

So my advice - buy both. If you look at what you get for free (VTK) it is definitely worth spending some money on the documentation.

Sincerely,

Morten H Pedersen, M.D.

Department of Ultrasound
Herlev Hospital