[vtkusers] Inheriting from VTK class

Richard Vega rvega at arl.army.mil
Tue Nov 6 12:41:20 EST 2001

Hi,

I use vtk 3.2 on a Dell PC with Win2000.

When trying to inherit from any VTK class (MySource : public
vtkPolyDataSource for instance),
I receive link errors like those shown below.

Linking...
MySource.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall vtkObject::PrintTrailer(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"

(?PrintTrailer at vtkObject@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
MySource.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall vtkObject::PrintHeader(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"

(?PrintHeader at vtkObject@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
MySource.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall vtkSource::PrintSelf(class ostream &,class vtkIndent)"

(?PrintSelf at vtkSource@@UAEXAAVostream@@VvtkIndent@@@Z)
Debug/BareMin.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals

Searching for a reason, I have I have copied and pasted code from a
vtkConeSource into my class
and made the neccessary name changes only to see similar link errors  (not
lacking a critical line of code).
vtkdll.dll and vtkdll.lib are pointed-to properly as I've been
experimenting with VTK for a while now.

All else is fine.

Is a solution to this problem obvious to anyone?

Thanks,  RAV