[vtkusers] How to compile VTK 3.2 using Mesa on Win32?

John M. Linebarger jmlg at lehigh.edu
Tue Mar 20 15:39:45 EST 2001

How would I alter the makefile created by pcmaker so that I use Mesa instead of
the Win32 OpenGL headers and libraries?  I need off-screen rendering capability
on Windows 2000, and don't seem to be able to get a vtkMesaRenderWindow class
unless I explicitly compile vtk using Mesa.  But I don't seem to be able to
customize the makefile and configure VTK to build properly with Mesa.

I did get Mesa 3.4.1 to build and execute properly on Windows 2000, so that's a
good first step.  Or is there another way altogether to get off-screen rendering
to work?  What I want is a pure windowless graphics server, which will run in
the background as a DCOM component service and serve JPEG images without ever
needing to pop up a window on the screen.

Thanks!  Enjoy!

John M. Linebarger
Lehigh University/Sandia National Laboratories