[vtkusers] Compiling VTK 3.2 on RedHat 7.0

Carlos Martinez Burgos cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Fri Mar 9 05:46:21 EST 2001

Hello again.

I have upgraded Red Hat 7.0 with the bug fixes and nothing has changed. I
get the same error message and when I run an example, I get a core dump.

I have a Geforce 2 MX with the NVIDIA rpm drivers. Could this be the
problem? I think not because everything is OK but VTK.

I think that I could install Mandrake 7.2, the NVIDIA drivers, and compile
VTK again. Has anybody compiled VTK in Mandrake 7.2? Will I get the same
problems?

If I can't resolve this problem I'm going to install VTK and JDK on
Windows, but I prefer Linux to develop software. Do you understand me?

Well, I use VTK on work but I need to use it in home, where I can't have
it run. Please help me!!

Thanks a lot.

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, David Gobbi wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> The fix for this was mentioned earlier today.  Go to
> http://www.redhat.com/errata and download (under Bug Fixes)
> the latest gcc and glibc.
>
> The problem is not with VTK at all, it is with the version
> of gcc that RedHat included with 7.0.
>
>  - David
>

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Carlos Martinez Burgos wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have problems compiling VTK 3.2 on RedHat 7.0. I fill the user.make file
> > and
> > set the CLASSPATH for Java wrappers. Then I run ./configure with this
> > command line:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/vtk3.2 --with-shared --with-tcl \
> > --with-java --with-python --with-tkwidget --with-patented --with-contrib
> >
> > I configure it without --with-mesa and --with-opengl because of I think
> > opengl option is suposed.
> >
> > Then I run gmake and everything is OK until vtk binary file (TCL) is
> > compiled. It reports an error with something about __sysconf.
> >
> > To solve this error I change USING_VTK_LINK_LIBS directive (I don't
> > rememer well) by USING_VTK_BUILD_LIBS in the Makefile of tcl
> > subdirectory. Everything is allright now.
> >
> > The problem is that when I run programs compiling cxx or with vtk binary
> > file I get a segmentation fault.
> >
> > Could you tell me the correct way to run VTK 3.2 on RedHat 7.0?
> >
> > Thanks.

Carlos Martínez Burgos      |     Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
Ingeniero Informático       |      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Tlf: +34 963877237          |                        Camí de Vera, S/N
cmarbur at iti.upv.es          |                   46071 Valencia - Spain
www.iti.upv.es/~cmarbur     |                           www.iti.upv.es