[vtkusers] vtk, python20, TkRenderWidget, Win2000

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Mar 7 11:28:32 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> hi,
>
> Okay, so the VTK nightly builds wont work with Python1.5.2 is that
> correct?  If so, then, cant this be mentioned at the download pages.

The VTK nightly builds work with Python 1.5.2 and Python 2.0 under
UNIX and Linux, and with Tcl/Tk 8.0 through 8.3 (probably 8.4 as well,
but I've never tried).

Under Windows you have to play a couple tricks, because the RenderWidgets
(for both Tcl and Python) rely on header files that are not included
with the binary Tcl distribution.  In the standard VTK distribution,
the tcl/tk 8.2 versions of these headers are kept in pcmaker/xlib.
If you want to use any other version of tcl/tk (for example 8.0 for
use with Python1.5.2 or 8.3 for use with Python2.0) then you need to
1) get and install the tcl/tk binaries
1) under the pcmaker 'Advanced' options specify the paths to the tcl and
   tk libraries
2) get a copy of the tk source, and copy the 'generic', 'win', and
   'xlib' directories from the source distribution into your binary
   distribution

Yes, this is ugly.  Also note that unless your tcl/tk version matches the
version of tcl/tk that python was built against, the RenderWidgets will
almost certainly not work under python.

 - David