[vtkusers] vtk, python20, TkRenderWidget, Win2000

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-a at barre.nom.fr
Wed Mar 7 08:26:28 EST 2001

Hi James

At 07/03/01 07:54 -0500, Miller, James V (CRD) wrote:

>I saw that you werew changing the build process for vtk's python bindings
>on the pc, so I'll direct
>my question towards you.

I've recently changed pcmaker to include the automatic incremental and
non-incremental build for the Python Tk Widget, thus I guess I might give
you some clues.

Yes, VTK is provided with Tcl 8.2, thus it *won't* work with Python 1.5.2,
you will need Tcl <= 8.0.3 for that.

Python 2.0 ships with Tcl 8.3, and I've successfully built the Python 2.0
Tk Widget against Tcl 8.3, on both Windows NT and 2000. I haven't tested
8.2, but David has I think.

>Are you building off the vtk repository with python 2.0? Do I need to go
>grab the source for tcl 8.3
>so I can build vtk with the same version of tcl that python ships with?

That would be fine. The binary distrib of Tcl 8.3.0 will do the trick, but
you will need the sources too, because some header files are missing (just
put them in the include/ dir of the binary install dir).