[vtkusers] vtkImageData & tensors & filters

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Thu Jun 28 04:20:37 EDT 2001

Hi Alexandre, Christina:

I don't think that anything apart from perhaps some new imaging
filters is required to support tensor images.  Most of the
existing filters will already accept any number of components
per pixel, so you just need to use images with 6 (or is it 9?)
components as needed to describe the tensor.

Writing new filters will probably be both easier & cleaner
than trying to extend existing filters.  For example, how would
vtkImageMathematics know whether it was dealing with a tensor image
rather than just a string of 6 components?  A separate e.g.
vtkImageTensorMathematics filter would just assume that the data
being fed in was composed of tensors.

No changes to vtkImageSource should be necessary, as far as I can
see, as long as >4 components are already properly supported.

Could you make a list of operations you'll need to be supported for
tensors?  I'm not one of the 'vtk folks' but I can probably offer
some advice re: implementation.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group