[vtkusers] Vtk and GCC 3.0 (RedHat 7.1)

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Jun 27 16:55:44 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Tom Browder wrote:

> Has anyone had success compiling 3.2 completely under RedHat 7.1
> and GCC 3.0?  If so, couuld you please pass on configure parameters
> and any user.make or other changes necessary.

I haven't tried vtk 3.2, just the CVS vtk.  It builds with the same
parameters as the gcc-2.96 that ships with Redhat 7.1 (but gcc-3.0
compiles much slower than 2.96):

setenv CC /usr/local/bin/gcc
setenv CXX /usr/local/bin/g++
./configure --with-shared --with-tcl --with-python --with-tkwidget \
     --with-patented --with-contrib

user.make:

TCL_INCLUDE=
TCL_LIB= -ltcl8.3

TK_INCLUDE=
TK_LIB= -ltk8.3

MESA_INCLUDE=
MESA_LIB=-lMesaGL -lXt

# for python you must set this
PYTHON_INCLUDES=-I/usr/include/python1.5

# Add additional CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for compilation
# uncomment the following two lines to set your own flags
CC = /usr/local/bin/gcc
CXX = /usr/local/bin/g++
USER_CFLAGS = -g -O2 -march=pentiumpro -pedantic -Wall
USER_CXXFLAGS = -g -O2 -march=pentiumpro -pedantic -Wall

That's everything.  The MESA variables will be ignored.