[vtkusers] Reading 16 bit images using vtkVolume16Reader

Matthieu Ferrant ferrant at tele.ucl.ac.be
Wed Jun 27 05:56:23 EDT 2001

Hi,

I have written a vtk class for reading Analyze images. I just plugged
the analyze structure definition into an imagereader so I could do an
fread on the header file to extract the parameters that vtk uses. It
automatically detects if the file comes from a different endian system.
The actual volumetric image data is read with the vtk methods. I can
give the class to whoever is interested in it. So far it has worked with
all the images I got in that format (mainly images coming from SPM99).

BTW, I think this format is much more convenient than the commonly used
slice format (DICOM, Genesis, etc.). Unless there are plans for writing
parsers for headers of these slices, it would be nice to add a format to
VTK that does not require manual input of the image and voxel sizes,
acquisition orientation, offset, etc. Just a suggestion ...

matt